Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Made of Yum: Primal Palate’s Sweet Potato Fries

First in a Series

We introduce our Made of Yum™ recipe series with something simple, special, and spectacular! Unfortunately, although I love to, I don’t get to cook nearly as often as I would like. That is, I cook every day, but (being a long–time member of the Noble Bachelor Ranks1) really only for myself. Other than whipping up something quick on the griddle or grill I appear to be genetically incapable of cooking for less than eight people. I suppose I could make a lot and have leftovers, but it just doesn’t occur to me to do it that way. So, both to share something wonderful and to help me be more insipred to cook better food more often, I’m presenting here the first in a series of Paleo–inspired recipes.

Though it’s been a controversial topic in the Paleosphere, the growing consensus seems to be that carbohydrate consumption is not inherently bad. I’m not making any recommendations (see The Fine Print), but my personal experience has been that low–to–no carbs is excellent for the beginning of a Paleo journey, leading to rapid weight loss and setting a foundation for any number of n=1 experiments to determine which foods, carbs or otherwise, work for you in an individually optimized diet.

Sweet potatoes have long been considered by many Paleo advocates as an acceptable carb source. They’re basic, inexpensive, and versatile. I’ve loved sweet potato fries in particular since before discovering Paleo. Bill Staley and Hayley Mason (the Paleostars responsible for The Food Lovers’ Primal Palate) have a book coming out in October, Make It Paleo, filled with fantastic paleo recipes. Here’s a simple and delicious recipe for sweet potato fries, courtesy of Bill and Haley:2

Bill & Hayley’s Sweet Potato FriesImage from Primal Palate

Ingredients:

  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper

Process:

  1. Preheat oven to bake at 400°.
  2. Rinse sweet potato under cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel, and cut into thin spears.
  3. Toss spears with olive oil, salt and pepper.
  4. Spread seasoned spears evenly onto a baking sheet.
  5. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.

You can produce an infinite variety of results by trying different spice combinations. My personal favorite is home–made Emeril’s Essence (much different and much better, to my taste, than the store–bought variety).

What are your favorite paleo recipes? Share them, and any thoughts you have on carbs as part of a paleo diet, in the comments!

NOTES

1Malcolm Reynolds is my hero.Smiley
2Staley, Bill, and Hayley Mason. Sweet Potato Fries. The Food Lovers’ Primal Palate. 2011–06–21. Web. 2011–08–31. Reproduced by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS POLICY: Comments on this site are not moderated, but may be deleted at the discretion of the site moderators. All civil comments are welcome, regardless of content. If a comment is deleted, reasons may be provided, but usually will not be.